Wednesday, April 15, 2020

poem 25

mixed up beans sprout in a jar
too big for a one hand grasp
lays sideways on a white tile sill
under creamy orchid blooms
protected from rolling away
by a thick broad deep green
leaf draping her orchid self
over slim pale miracles
overnight in three days
teeny emerald leaves push

sunward even after my
clumsy wet hands nearly
drop them and their universe
to shatter in the stark
enamel cast iron sink
i chipped yesterday when
the resolute dutch oven
slipped from my wet fingers

[one thoughtless act
initiates another's demise]
I rubbed the nick as if
doing so could restore
purity perfection oneness
just how I rub my icy nose
as if doing so could make
young my aging heart
this tiny chip irrefutable
like the brilliant deadly virus
reminds me be careful be
daring be grateful be loving
be grieving be fair give life
give hope make right inequalities
even if only in tiny chipped steps

No comments:

Post a Comment